Monday, May 25, 2009

i never want to leave



there's something so essential in this little place where a tree wraps its roots around a beautiful pink rock. there's so much age contained in the rock and so much knowledge in the tree.

ryokan allowed himself to become a part of a similar essence . . .

"in my youth i put aside my studies
and i aspired to be a saint.
living austerely as a mendicant monk,
i wandered here and there for many springs.
finally i returned home to settle under a craggy peak.
i live peacefully in a grass hut,
listening to the birds for music.
clouds are my best neighbors.
below a pure spring where i refresh body and mind;
above, towering pines and oaks that provide shade and brushwood.
free, so free, day after day --
i never want to leave!"


you might like to visit my other blog "flow"

2 comments:

Delwyn said...

Hi Steven

I love this poem by Ryokan..
It is so simple yet for me evokes such pulling, powerful feelings.
- what a feeling of freedom - and I could visualize the Japanese scenery too...

and I don't know him so now you have sent me on another mission - to learn about Ryokan the poet. Thank you so much...

A little blessing in every day!

Happy Days

steven said...

hi delwyn, thanks for visiting! when i read this poem i had such an amazing experience - right inside the words and the images of the japanese landscape. and i never wanted to leave the poem. i love its sincerity and its simplicity. and most of all i love how it speaks to me each time i read it!!! peace fullness . . . . . .
steven