Wednesday, October 29, 2008

on this day twelve years ago


on this day twelve years ago a girl entered my life who i was entirely unprepared for but on whom (for me) the sun rises and sets. i still vividly recall the moment when our family doctor "rick" as i know him ( a cyclist, advocate for a local marshland, wears duck boots into the birthing room) said "hey, we've got a baby girl" . . . and i was so thrilled, so deeply thrilled i almost cried. but i didn't, because at that moment he gave her to me to give to my wife. it was a stunning rich magical massive momentous deep moment. i had never had a sister. i grew up with the mystery of girls and women and here was one thrust into my arms for whom i would be "daddy", "dad", and eventually steven. always there. always caring and loving. easily wrapped around the finger of her wishes and dreams.
in my life i have been blessed with two sons and a daughter. each a unique, amazing person in their own right. today is my daughter alexia (lexi's) day. happy birthday sweet girlchild of mine and thankyou for all that you are.

4 comments:

Goldenrod said...

Happy birthday, Lexi!

She's beautiful, Steven, and your post is full of love, exquisitely expressed.

steven said...

thanks goldenrod. even on my worst days, this girl reminds me of what is really important.
steven

Jake said...

Thank you for all that you are. I guess that is what love is all about.

steven said...

i think so jake!! thanks for visiting . . . . steven