Saturday, October 13, 2007

teardrop on the fire of a confession

lake ontario at cobourg about three hundred metres from my parent's home.

a few years ago, bristol, england based trip hop collective massive attack released an album entitled mezzanine. easily one of my most played discs and containing songs that - like all music i really love - carries associations but which also magically rises above both time and space and manages to remain listenable at any moment without losing its power and beauty.

among the many wonderful songs on mezzanine is one that i have heard in many remixes, covered by many people.
entitled teardop, it is sung on mezzanine by cocteau twins’ singer elizabeth fraser. fraser had just ended a relationship and so carried some of the catharsis of that process into her rendition on the album.
here are the words as sung by elizabeth:

teardrop (massive attack)

(love)love is a verb
Love is a doing word
Feathers on my breath
Gentle impulsion
Shakes me makes me lighter
Feathers on my breath

Teardrop on the fire
Feathers on my breath

In the night of matter
Black flowers blossom
Feathers on my breath
Black flowers blossom
Feathers on my breath

Teardrop on the fire
Feathers on my breath

Water is my eye
Most faithful my love
Feathers on my breath
Teardrop on the fire of a confession
Feathers on my breath
Most faithful my love
Feathers on my breath

Teardrop on the fire
Feathers on my breath

Stumbling a little (x2)

you can hear the song and view the video - a stunning and beautiful video that will stick with you for some time:
it’s right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG8eQBSp9Ao
here’s the same tune done by the massive live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4wCtGjl2FI&NR=1

what i'd also like to hand on to you today is a version of "teardrop" that has a man singing the words - a first for my ears. sung by a musician i’m not at all familiar with - the musician newton faulkner - his version has some lovely cross harmonies and as you’ll see, really deft hand(s) with his guitar. he’s probably famous! sorry you’ve been an unknown to me newton.
here he is singing this alone:
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/broadband/mediaplayer/index.html?channel=entertainment&id=3217

here are the words as sung by newton . . .

Love, love is a verb
Love is a doing word
Fearless on my breath
Gentle impulsion
Shakes me, makes me lighter
Fearless on my breath
Teardrop on the fire
Fearless on my breath
Water is my eye
Most faithful mirror
Fearless on my breath
Teardrop on the fire
Of a confession
Fearless on my breath
Most faithful mirror
Fearless on my breath
Teardrop on the fire
Fearless on my breath
Ooh ooh ooh
You're stumbling in the dark
Stumbling in the dark
Ooh ooh ooh

and here he is mashed up with elements of the original tune as crafted by massive attack:
http://andypanty1978.blogspot.com/
when you land on this page scroll down beneath the cover image of the mashup to the “direct download” link.
( http://s10.divshare.com/launch.php?f=2234316&s=2f9 ) this will drop a copy of the mashup onto your hard drive - or if you are a mac owner, right into itunes.

No comments: